PORTLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Volunteer at the Curator's Cottage at Portland Botanical Gardens
Situated in the Botanical Gardens, this two storey bluestone cottage was the home of the Portland Botanical Gardens' curator. It features a bedroom, nursery, kitchen, parlour and annexe, furnished as a late nineteenth century workman's cottage.
The cottage was constructed in two stages, with the first stage erected in 1858 and the second stage in 1889. The cottage not only housed the curator and his family, but also doubled as a shelter for visitors to the garden during periods of inclement weather. Over the years seven curators lived in the cottage, the last being Gilbert Pritchard in 1963. In 1965 the cottage was restored and became home to the Portland Historical Society collection. Members of the Portland Historical Society volunteer to open the building to the public.